Construction of the power station began in 1970 and cost taxpayers an estimated £200 million. The station consisted of two generating units and was designed to produce 1900 mega-watts of electricity. It was visible for miles around courtesy of its huge 778ft chimney and was also Scotland's first oil-fired power station. Before it opened however oil prices soared making it unproductive.
The power station was maintained as a strategic reserve before eventually being mothballed. It was rarely used to full capacity, except during 1984 when there was the miner's strike, and production was stopped in the late 1980s. It was run by Scottish Power, a group with headquarters in Glasgow.
Demolition of the plant began around 2012 and continued throughout 2013. This included the spectacular demolition of the chimney on Sunday, 28th July, 2013. Watch footage of the spectacular demolition below: